Wednesday 8 June 2011

Penny Wong, taking no sh*t

I did hear about this on local news when it happened, but I've been surprised at how this story has travelled, with various American and British news sites and blogs picking up on it as well. And I understand why; I could watch this all day. I'm not particularly enamoured of anyone in Australia's governing party right now, but I got to give Penny Wong props for how she handles the Coalition's David Bushby's demeaningly sexist "meow" during a session of the Senate. The segment between 0:10 and 0:15 is priceless; Wong reacts without missing a beat, and her icy stare speaks volumes. And I like that as the only Asian woman in Australian parliament (Wong was born in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia), she shows that she is nothing like the fragile demure stereotype that Asian women are often saddled with.

No comments:

Post a Comment