Sunday 27 May 2012

Brown Eurovision

(Cross-posted at Brown Pundits)

The Eurovision Song Contest is where all the nations of Europe celebrate their national pride through a terrible pop song which is almost inevitably in English. It is a particularly bizarre ode to whackness that for some reason people get excited about every year. Not me. But I noted with interest how this year’s contest, held in Azerbaijan, was particularly brownish.

Sweden took the honours with a song by Loreen, a singer with a Moroccan Berber background. At the other end of the popularity scale was Norway’s entrant Tooji, a dude who was born in Iran. I couldn’t tell you exactly what it was that meant Loreen’s song was deemed awesome and Tooji’s was not.

France’s entrant was Anggun, a chanteuse originally from Indonesia. The UK helped Norway bring up the rear, veteran crooner Engelbert Humperdink – born in Madras – failing to inspire the masses. I would have picked Anggun, for reasons of hotness and Indonesian nationalism. I know that has nothing to do with music, but neither does Eurovision.

To be honest, Anggun's song is about as rubbish as every other rubbish song at Eurovision.


However I can overlook that. I've had something of a crush on Anggun since coming across this video. Any woman who can seem sexy while talking about eating offal has to score a 10/10 in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment