Wednesday 26 May 2010

Guess who's Asian? Part 7

Some folks spotted around the tube who you may not know were a bit Asian...

Singer/songwriter/producer Bruno Mars currently has the #1 pop hit in the US with Nothin' on You, his collaboration with rapper B.O.B. His real name is Peter Hernandez, and he was born in Hawaii to a Puerto Rican father and Filipino mother.

I can't say I've ever spent a great amount of time thinking about crooner Engelbert Humperdink; his music is probably more for my parents' generation. But if I did, I would have assumed he was German or something. Well apparently not; he named himself after a famous German opera composer. He was actually born Arnold George Dorsey in Madras (Chennai). His father was a British soldier stationed there. While Wikipedia tells me Humperdink is purely British in ethnicity, other sources describe his mother as being Anglo-Indian. (My friend Ruth de Souza, who is from Goa, claims his mother was Goan.) And as someone who has an eye for Indians (though primarily the female ones), I figure he has some Indian-ness about him, judging by his pictures.


I first spotted the quite lovely-looking Lourdes Benedicto on Dawson's Creek, when she played a temporary love interest of Pacey. Which of course begs the question: How the hell did Pacey get to be such a babe-magnet? It also begs the question of what the hell I was doing watching Dawson's Creek... but I digress.  The New York-born Benedicto is of Filipino and Dominican descent. You can also catch her right now in V, in which she is carrying Morris Chestnut's alien baby. Now that kid would be an interesting mix -  a blend of Filipino, Dominican, black and alien.

I have to say - and I say this with a record of unblemished heterosexuality - Will Demps is smokin' hot. Born to an African-American father and Korean mother, Demps had a 6 year career in the NFL as a Safety. Currently listed as a free agent, he seems to spend most of his time posing. And I don't blame him.


One of the interesting things about mixed-race actors is that due to their sometimes ambiguous features, they often end up playing characters of a diverse range of ethnicities. Thus in The OC, Navi Rawat character was named Theresa Diaz; in Castle her character was called Rachel Waters; while in Numb3rs, she plays a mathematician named Anita Ramanujan. (Her acting CV also reveals a role as "Ethnic Woman" in another movie.) Californian-born Rawat's father is Indian and her mother German.

If you've ever watched the best TV drama ever made, by which I mean The Wire, you would have noticed Sonja Sohn as no-nonsense lesbian detective Shakima Greggs. I first encountered Sohn in the Sundance Grand Jury Prize-winning film Slam, which she starred in and co-wrote, based on her experiences in the slam poetry scene. Sohn is the child of an African-American father and Korean mother.

More like this - "Guess who's Asian?" part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5 and part 6.

Guess the Ethnicity, part 1 and 2.

Yes, Eurasians are hot. Just ask science.

Interracial dating in the USA

No comments:

Post a Comment